Thursday, January 17, 2013

HOMEMADE GRANOLA





This is one of my very favorite healthy snacks and its sooo easy to make.  I did my own take on a recipe from my mom.  

You will need:

4 cups rolled oats
2 cups sliced almonds
2 cups shredded coconut 
That is the basis of the granola and for the other ingredients I didn't measure but just threw in what felt right including :
agave nectar, cinnamon, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, golden raisins, figs, dried cranberries, and dried apricots.

Starting with the oats and nuts, I spread them evenly on a cookie sheet and drizzled agave nectar and cinnamon over the top.  Mix it all up, you want to make sure everyone gets some agave nectar so they bake all crispy, golden brown, and nice like.  My mom uses a fourth cup of olive oil, half cup of honey, and half cup of apple sauce, which also turns out amazing but the agave nectar has less sugar then honey and less fat than olive oil.  Bake on 350 for 30-40 minutes, just check them at 30, I like things on the crispier side so I left it for 40.  Then add all your dried fruit and shake it up.  I bought everything in bulk from the local health food store, I wanted to use raw nuts and the lowest sugar/sodium ingredients possible. This is such a delicious, healthy snack and doesn't go bad/stale very fast! And you can make lots of different versions with various nuts and dried fruits. It is also a great gift for friends, packaged all cute mason jars or something of that sort!

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment