Thursday, August 6, 2015

KITCHEN STORIES : FAVORITE BEANS & RICE



This shouldn't even fall into the category of "recipe" because it's so simple to make.  These days what I look for in a meal is easy, quick, and healthy / low calorie.  I am by no means a cook but in the past I always enjoyed the process of making / baking, photographing food, and sharing it here so I am challenging myself to doing this more frequently again.  

I try to incorporate beans of some sort into most dinners since I am vegetarian.  For Hunter who wants to eat meat every once in awhile, this is the perfect thing that I can whip up enough for both of us and he adds grilled chicken to his. Here's what you need: 

1 cup of brown rice (simmers for about 45 minutes)
1 cup (dry) or canned black beans
1 cup (dry) or canned pinto beans 
chopped onions
chopped red peppers 
fresh basil 
fresh chopped garlic
black pepper 

If you use dry beans they take a little more preparation and cooking before adding vegetables. Otherwise,  combine the canned beans, onions, peppers, basil, and garlic into one pot and let simmer for about 30 minutes.  I don't measure the vegetables, just put as much or as little to your liking.  We added cherry tomatoes and a hint of cilantro to the top.  Sprinkle with pepper, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and enjoy. 

XO 

No comments:

Post a Comment