Monday, June 10, 2013

EATS : GLUTEN FREE HOMEMADE GRANOLA


I love making a huge batch of homemade granola to snack on.  It's the perfect healthy treat.  This happens to be gluten free and very low in sugar.  I buy all ingredients in bulk from our local health food store.  I'm not so good at following recipes so I just throw in my desired amount of each item.  The oats, sliced almonds, and shredded coconut are the main part.  I add around 4 cups of rolled oats (I used gluten free), 2 cups of sliced almonds, and about 2 cups of coconut.  I added pumpkin seeds, walnuts, raisins, dried apricots, and pecans.  You could do about a cup of each of these to make a large amount. Again, I buy all of this in bulk and the raw, unsalted versions. It will stay fresh and last you while!  Lay all your ingredients out on a cookie sheet.  I sprinkled cinnamon, raw agave nectar, and a small spoonful of coconut oil over the top.  This was the first time I used coconut oil, Hunter and I both agreed it was the best batch yet.  The original recipe calls for olive oil and honey if you want it a little sweeter, but I am trying to cut sugar from my diet!  Set the oven to 350 and baked for about 25-30 minutes.  I start checking on it around 25 minutes, it should be golden brown and crunchy.  I always look at the coconut to tell when it's ready since it gets real toasty looking!  

Happy Snacking!


No comments:

Post a Comment