Wednesday, February 20, 2013

HOMEMADE CARROT CAKE





I just have to start by saying how excited I am that this was not only edible, but also tasted really good! 
Hunter's favorite cake is carrot so for Valentine's day I wanted to try to make something homemade that he would enjoy.  It may seem like I cook a lot around here, but don't be fooled...I make simple, quick, and healthy vegetarian dishes for the most part.  The kind that require no recipe and that are hard to mess up.  So when it comes to baking and from scratch...now that can be scary. 

I found a simple recipe online that I thought sounded good and put my own little twist on it.  Here is what this delicious cake requires: 

4 eggs 
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil 
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose white flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon (if you're a cinnamon nut like us, add more!)
3 cups grated carrots (I think I did just under 3 cups)
THEN...
I added pecans, raisins, dried cranberries, and unsweetened coconut.  This is completely optional but I wanted to really jazz it up and try something new.  I threw in about a heaping handful (is that a measurement? haha) of each...I would say about 1 cup, just alter it to what you like the most (aka extra, extra coconut!)

Beat your eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until smooth.  Add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Pour into a greased pan.  Cook at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. 

NOW FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING! 
1/2 cup butter, softened (not melted!)
8 oz cream cheese, softened (not melted!)
4 cups of confectionary sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Sounds sinful right? That's because it is.
The key here, folks is softened not melted.  Stick it in the microwave and set it for just 10 seconds or so at a time.  You still want the frosting to be a little thick.  

A couple side notes:  I dreamed of a smoothly frosted beautiful result but the truth is I added so much good stuff (the nuts, coconut, etc) that it became a bit crumbly.  Which is totally fine, don't think you ruined it (like I thought) if it begins to fall apart and crumble after you take it out of the oven.  I like the whole "exposed layer" look anyways. wink. 

Finally, frost that cake with beauty and grace and serve it to all your loved ones with vanilla ice cream! 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment